Sunday, October 10, 2021

How Can Educational Philosophies Influence Schooling?



I believe educational philosophies have a strong influence on teaching styles which then impacts schooling. I explored the five main philosophies, perennialism, essentialism, social reconstructivism, progressivism, and postmodernism, and they each have a different influence in the classroom. Perennialism has to do more with faith and will and instilling strong order and discipline into the classroom. I believe this is the kind of education some students may receive at an academy or private school and students may not have the freedom to learn about current topics that interest them. This would be a more traditional learning style that dates to the history of schooling. Essentialism has to deal with idealism and realism, by teaching students the traditions and cultures of the past. Relating back to its name, essentialism is based on the essential subjects such as reading, writing, and mathematics. This is a more standard type of schooling that relies on using discussion and reading from common books. This kind of schooling in often found in public schools. Social Reconstructivism is centered around change and improving society through schooling. It places an emphasis on critical thinking to promote democracy and to push students not to settle for what is. A classroom based on this philosophy may involve lots of time in the community and dealing with societal problems. Progressivism has to do with a more hands-on type of schooling. A progressive classroom is more student-centered and promotes individuality and a democratic society. Students are in charge of their schooling and teachers play the role of the facilitator with no set curriculum. Postmodernism is schooling based off of critical theory and a combination of the other philosophies. In this type of classroom, reality is subjective and differs from person to person so there is also not a strict curriculum but more of a critical one that varies by each student.


Thanks for reading, 
Holly. 
 

10/10/21 - 10:32pm.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Holly,
    I love your definitions of the five philosophies. These helped me clear up any confusion I had about them. I think having parts of each philosophy into one would be the best teaching style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Love your post! Thank you for defining the information from each of the philosophy. It really helped me with which part is which. It helped with my confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly! I thought that your post was very informative, and it provided great insight about the philosophies we learned about! I want to incorporate Progressivism into my teaching style because I believe in the importance of hands-on learning, and I want my students to feel heard and seen in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete

How Do We Talk About Issues That Matter?

Why is it that the issues that matter are often the most difficult to speak about? Could it be because these conversation make us uncomforta...